Fermer

History

The colonisation of the Village of Senneville was founded by the Europeans at the end of the XVIIecentury.

 

1679

Michel Sidrac Dugé, sieur of Boisbriand, sells his property (the fief of Boisbriand) to Charles LeMoyne and his partner Jacques Le Ber, who are fur traders. It is at this time that Jacques Le Ber renames the Boisbriand fief “Senneville” in memory of his hometown in France, “Senneville sur Fécamp”.

1686

A stone windmill is built in Senneville. It serves as a focal point for settlers in the area.

1689

The battle of the Lake of Two Mountains takes place between a scout patrol of Ville-Marie and a party of Iroquois. There is a commemorative plaque on Senneville Road near l'Anse-à-l'Orme.

1691

The Senneville windmill is partly destroyed by fire.

1703

Fort of Senneville is built on the shores of Lake of Two Mountains by Jacques Le Ber de Senneville, who is the son of the Jacques Le Ber who bought the property. The fort measures approximately 66 feet by 30 feet.

1777

Fort of Senneville is burnt down by U.S. General Benedict Arnold. Its ruins are now located on private property.

1895

The town of Bay-d'Urfé and the Village of Senneville break away from parish of Sainte-Anne-Du-Bout De l’Île. Senneville is incorporated by a group of citizens and is named the “Village of Senneville”. A charter is adopted and the municipality is still governed by this charter.

1896

On May 9th, the first assembly of the Senneville council is held, presided over by the first mayor of Senneville, his honour Louis-Joseph Forget.

1923

The “Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Curling Club” is built on Tunstall.

1945

The Morgan family founds the Morgan Arboretum in the North Ward of Senneville.

1946

The voluntary fire department is founded.

1951

The Morgan Arboretum becomes part of Macdonald College (McGill University). It now includes a bird Sanctuary, Sugaring-off facilities, and 170 types of Canadian trees. The Arboretum welcomes students in agriculture, forestry and environmental studies.

1961

Senneville Yacht Club and St-George’s School are built.

1963

The Corpus Christi Church is built.

1963

Construction of l'Île aux Tourtes bridge.

1972

The Senneville pool and tennis courts are built in Senneville park.

1979

An agricultural zone is decreed in the North Ward of Senneville and is upgraded in 1992.

2002

Merged with Montreal in the Pierrefonds/Senneville borough

2006

De-merged from the City of Montreal

2017

The Heritage declaration of the Bois-de-la-Roche site (French version only).

2017

The new Senneville Town Hall is built.